Thursday, April 16, 2009

What I Think Of The Justice System in America?

What I Think Of The Justice System in America?

The United States of America is known as the land where dreams come true. So far in my life I have experienced and seen several different accounts where the law has held this to be undoubtedly true but at the same time unexpectedly wrong. The law was built to establish and maintain order, to keep the citizens of this country safe but at times this power is abused and the American people suffer.

The Rodney King incident is a perfect example for this; police are very sly when going about doing these things. Ask yourself the question, who are you going to believe…the trusted police force or the criminal? No one wants to question the credibility of their justice system; no one wants to believe that the police force is out for themselves and not for us. The police know this and take advantage of it, the minute the majority of Americans start doubting the credibility of their government is when they’ll lose power.

I’m not saying that all cops are like this and we all should be anti-government, but maybe we as the power of the American government should think for ourselves and question things that every arm of the government does, including: the legislative, the executive and the judicial branches. Why do most people instantly get a sense of fear when they see a police car or hear police sirens, not because they are doing anything wrong but just for the simple fact that they are the police. In the end, we know a country cannot survive with no kind of order in place it’s just impossible but I wish the men and women of the police force would take the people of this country into thought before they start their job every day.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think that the law creates a sense of protection, yet a sense of fear. They try to uphold order and keep peace yet there are corrupt instances where they will do whatever it takes to complete that task, be it right or wrong. We are told to respect and appreciate our system yet this blogger has a great point- why do normal, well behaved citizens get nervous when police come around when they’ve done nothing wrong? All the horror stories? All the times other law abiding friends have said he pulled me over when I wasn’t even doing anything?! With power comes corruption. I’m not familiar with any law abiding country that doesn’t have that problem. I guess it all just comes down to trying to keep a good safe, balance on it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, I am so shocked and got taken away when I continuously read your blog. It’s a very interesting choice of topic, to speak about the police, but I do agree with every word you are saying. The police actually feed off a sense of intimidation, knowing that there are cops who are crooked, mean, and use their authority as an advantage, and in that situation of the law, that does not make its’ people feel safe. There have been many encounters that I have been through with the police that should not have been encountered, by them using their authority over a citizen like me. I understand the duties of their job, but I believe that they should take into consideration on what they are actually doing, before they actually take action. The United States could be a land where dreams come true, and where freedom is granted, but there are some crazy things that do go on, when the law takes place! -britney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rayne,
    I like you, have many experiences where the law has been seen from both sides. I can see your point when it comes to the police especially when it is dealing with the Rodney King situation. The question to ask did the police have to do what they did? Did the people on the street have to do what they did? I had been down in the LA area just before it all broke loose. I have to say that I was grateful that the police where there and the laws were in place to get things back in order. I understand that police are not fun to be around and they can be intimidating at times, I would not want to know what it would be like if we did not have them. I like what you said in your last paragraph, “In the end, we know a country cannot survive with no kind of order in place it’s just impossible.” This is what the law is for, to make it possible to live our lives the way we do.

    ReplyDelete